Today, we’re digging into pillar one of a peaceful morning routine. Your workout! I’ll be honest in that this one isn’t hard for me to do. I’m easily motivated to workout and to workout in the morning and have been for almost 20 years. But if you’re not, that’s okay! A little movement in the morning goes a long way. Here’s a few of my top tips for incorporating a workout into your morning routine:
1. Lay out your clothes the night before – Success comes down to preparation. How can you prepare for an early morning workout and early alarm? Lay out your workout clothes the night before. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve forgotten this step and ended up waking up my husband with opening drawers and turning on my phone flashlight to find clothes. Do it the night before! I’d even double down on this tip and say to lay out your work clothes as well! Eliminate those decisions by making them the night before.
2. Map out what you’re going to do – If you write your own workouts, jot down what you’re going to do. If you like workout DVDs or YouTube, go ahead and put the DVD in or get the workout video saved on your phone for the morning. Check the weather if you want to head out for a run.
3. Hit snooze 1x – Most will tell you to not even hit the snooze, but I’ll be honest. I need the snooze. I don’t really have a reason behind it, I just need to be warmed up before I jump out of bed!
4. Do a workout you love – Nothing keeps me in bed longer than planning a workout I don’t want to do! So pick something fun and exciting! Maybe that’s a class at a gym or a new video your friend loved. Mix it up and make it fun! I workout 5-6x a week and my absolute favorite is running, so I do that 3-4x a week! Do what you love!
5. Add in a friend – If you really struggle to get up and get it done for the day, join a friend for her workout. Meet for a run or walk. Do a group fitness class. I don’t always love fitness classes because of my season of life with little ones is hard to get away, but the occasional walk or run with a friend does more for my mental health than anything else!
So with as little as 10 minutes of yoga, walking or stretching, I hope you are encouraged to move your body every day and move it in the morning if you can! For me, if I don’t do it in the early morning, there’s less of a chance I’ll do it! Know yourself and work in these little hacks to have a more productive and purposeful day!